– The children of Courtland attend school in either New Ulm, Nicollet, or at the Immanuel Lutheran School located just outside of town.
– Courtland is home to a saw mill. Minnesota Valley Forest Products deals in hardwood lumber.
– Two major industries in the city of Courtland include: Hancock Concrete and G and S Manufacturing, which was formerly located in New Ulm.
– Residents of the Courtland area have a place to buy new and used cars at S and S Motors.
Festivals & Events
– The Courtland Recreation Association sponsors an annual Fish fry every year to raise funds for community projects. The Fish Fry typically takes place in March.
– The Courtland Fire Department holds a special dance every August. They also have a Fish Fry in October. Both events serve as fundraisers for the Fire Department.
– The Courtland Recreation Association has a Pork Chop Fry every summer. The fund raising event usually takes place in June.
– The City of Courtland has a population of approximately 600 people. The Mayor is Allan Poehler.
– The Courtland Fire Department is made up of volunteers. The Fire Chief is Dave Ubel and the Assistant Fire Chief is Corey Hulke.
– The City of Courtland was founded in the year 1855 by a group of investors.
– Courtland is in Nicollet County on the banks of the Minnesota River. It is located between Highways 14 and 68.
– The founders of the Village of Courtland were: Jacob Harmon, Mr. Haresing, John Sidel, Jacob Gfeller, and Ole Nelson.
– Courtland was originally called “Hilo.” In 1856, the Hilo Post Office was established in the home of William Duprey. In 1858 the township and village were surveyed, and in 1865 it was re-named Courtland, after a town in New York of the same name, but without the U— Cortland.
– In 1856 the Village of Redstone was surveyed near Courtland where the ferry crossed the Minnesota River. The town was never developed though.
– In 1859 a Lutheran Church was organized in Courtland.
– In 1882 Courtland had 3 general stores, a harness shop, a wagon shop, a hotel, and a grain elevator.
– The City of Courtland was officially incorporated in 1892.
– Eight residents of Courtland were killed in the 1862 Sioux Uprising.