NU Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 28 Jan 14

Three people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in New Ulm Monday morning. The New Ulm Police Department was called out to the residence at 1018 North Broadway for possible exposure to the deadly gas at around 8:40am Monday. Allina medical personnel and New Ulm Public Utilities staff also responded, and it was confirmed that a high level of carbon monoxide was present in the home, but the 3 adults in the residence were able to notice the signs before it was too late. 93-year-old Arnold Schweiss, his wife Velma and his stepson Steve Harder were transported to the New Ulm Medical Center and then flown to the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning. They are expected to be released from the hospital today (TUE). The incident is under investigation, but New Ulm Police say that it appears that snow was blocking a furnace exhaust vent, which may have caused carbon monoxide to go into an air intake pipe.