Courtland Day, 1/29/14 23 Jan 14

 

Courtland 3

Courtland 2

Courtland 1

Businesses

– The children of Courtland attend school in either New Ulm or Nicollet, or at the Immanuel Lutheran School located just outside of town. 

– Courtland is home to a saw mill. Minnesota Valley Forest Products deals in hardwood lumber.

– Two major industries in the city of Courtland include: Hancock Concrete and G and S Manufacturing, which was formerly located in New Ulm.

– Residents of the Courtland area have a place to buy new and used cars at S and S Motors.

 

Festivals & Events

– The Courtland Recreation Association sponsors an annual Fish fry every year to raise funds for community projects. The Fish Fry typically takes place in March.

– The Courtland Fire Department holds a special dance every August. They also have a Fish Fry in October. Both events serve as fundraisers for the Fire Department.

– The Courtland Recreation Association has a Pork Chop Fry every summer. The fund raising event usually takes place in June.

 

People

– The City of Courtland has a population of approximately 550 people. The Mayor is Allan Poehler.

– Former Mayor of Courtland Bob Schabert announced in 2010 that he was not running for re-election. He served as Mayor of Courtland for 10 years, and on the City Council for 24 years. During that time he reportedly did not miss a single meeting.

– A Courtland couple got married at the end of the Mankato Marathon in October of 2013. Rachel Nachreiner’s father, Mike, ran the last mile of the marathon with her to symbolize walking her down the aisle prior to her tying the knot with Steve Page. 

 

History

– The City of Courtland was founded in the year 1855 by a group of investors.

– Courtland is in Nicollet County on the banks of the Minnesota River. It is located between Highways 14 and 68.

– The founders of the Village of Courtland were: Jacob Harmon, Mr. Haresing, John Sidel, Jacob Gfeller, and Ole Nelson.

– Courtland was originally called “Hilo.” In 1856, the Hilo Post Office was established in the home of William Duprey. In 1858 the township and village were surveyed, and in 1865 it was re-named Courtland, after a town in New York of the same name, but without the U— Cortland.

– In 1856 the Village of Redstone was surveyed near Courtland where the ferry crossed the Minnesota River. The town was never developed though.

– In 1859 a Lutheran Church was organized in Courtland.

– In 1882 Courtland had 3 general stores, a harness shop, a wagon shop, a hotel, and a grain elevator.

– The City of Courtland was officially incorporated in 1892.

– Eight residents of Courtland were killed in the 1862 Sioux Uprising.