– Arlington is paired with Gaylord and Green Isle to form the Sibley East School District. The consolidation took effect July 1st, 1995. Sibley East High School is located in Arlington. They are the Wolverines.
– Arlington is home to Seneca Foods, one of the largest vegetable canning operations in the US. 2010 marks 105 years of canning in Arlington as well. The plant currently has 4 canning lines, and produces an average of 56-thousand cases of peas and sweet corn per day. Seneca currently employs 46 full-time workers, along with up to 160 seasonal pack employees.
– All your concrete needs can be met in the City of Arlington by Cemstone Concrete Products.
– Farmers from the Arlington area travel to Scott Equipment for their various implements. It is located just outside of Arlington.
Festivals and Events
– Arlington’s big festival of the summer is Town and Country Days. The annual celebration highlights all the positive aspects of both the rural and city life of Arlington residents. It features plenty of good food, music, and more. Town and Country Days 2006 was extra special as the City of Arlington celebrated its Sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary.
– Saturday nights in the summer months of May through September, the roar of powerful engines and crowds can be heard at the Arlington Raceway.
– The Sibley County Fair takes place in Arlington every summer during the 1st weekend of August.
– The Arlington Fire Department holds a dance every January to raise funds for firefighting equipment.
– The Arlington Lions Club holds a huge fish fry once a year. The event is hugely popular, and is attended by thousands of people.
– What is billed as probably the largest lighted Christmas Parade in Minnesota, Arli-Dazzle, takes place the first Saturday in December. It includes an appearance by Santa Claus, as well as horse-drawn sleigh rides, pictures with live reindeer, carolers, food, and nearly a hundred lighted floats.
– The population of Arlington is approximately 2,500. The Mayor of Arlington is James Kreft.
– Arlington native John McGovern was a Minnesota Golden Gophers football player who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1966. He died in 1963.
– Arlington native Anne Panning is an award winning writer of both fiction and nonfiction. She teaches English at State University of New York at Brockport and co-directs the Brockport Writers Forum.
– Arlington is easily recognized by its baseball water tower. The town is home of the 5-time State Amateur Baseball champs and 2-time State High School Baseball champs.
– The City of Arlington was designated a Governor’s Fit City in 2010. The criteria include creating inviting places to walk, adopting a value statement affirming the importance of fitness, having at least one city-sponsored fitness activity, and developing recreation areas that encourage fitness.
– Arlington was awarded a $200,000 “Safe Routes To School” federal grant in 2011. The money was received in 2012, and sidewalk improvements were done in 2013.
– A Sibley East High School student went to the International Science Fair in Phoenix in May of 2013. Jonah Butler received a Gold Grand Award at the Minnesota State Science and Engineering Fair in Bloomington for his research on the use of anaerobic fermentation on pre-treated biomass to streamline biofuel production.
– The Arlington Police Department got a new home in June of 2013 when the new city services and tech center opened in Arlington. The renovation of the old city office facility cost just over $100,000
– The Sibley County Fair took place in early August in 2013 in the City of Arlington, and new Sibley County Royalty was crowned. The 2013 Queen of Sibley County was Briana Williams of Le Sueur. Crowned First Princess was Lexi Platz, named Second Princess was Christy Woehler, and crowned Miss Congeniality was Abbey Tourtellott .
– Sibley East High School Homecoming royalty was crowned in October of 2013. Homecoming King was Cordell Bates and Homecoming Queen was Megan Eckberg.
– The City of Arlington was first settled in the year 1855.
– Arlington is located in eastern Sibley County on Highway 5. Nearby lakes and rivers include High Island Creek and Silver Lake, which is about 4 miles east of town.
– While the area where Arlington is now located was first settled in 1855, the town was not platted until a year later, in 1856. The town was officially organized in 1858, and the name Arlington was approved at a town meeting on May 11th of that year. The general settlement of the area began in the 1860′s and 70′s. The settlers of the area were of predominately German descent.
– In 1948, Arlington was incorporated as a “Home Rule Charter” city. Revision of the charter occurred in 1982.
– Arlington was designated as a Minnesota Star City in 1990.
– Arlington is the hometown of 2 Minnesota Baseball Hall of Fame inductees: Jim O’Brien and Eddie Mueller.
– The President of the Ara Wilson Baseball League for many years, Augie Mueller, is from Arlington.