An 18-year-old Saux Rapids man is expected to receive a 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to 2nd-degree murder for the death of an MSU-Mankato student last year. Jesse Smithers entered the guilty plea on Friday, and a 1st-degree manslaughter charge will be dismissed as part of the plea. The incident occurred in the City of St. Cloud in September of 2012. Smithers is accused of jumping out of a car and punching 20-year-old Colton Gleason in the face. Gleason then fell backward and hit his head and later died from his injuries. Smithers was 17-years-old at the time. He had been certified to stand trial as an adult, and his trial was scheduled to start this week. A sentencing date has not been set at this time.
- Four hurt in McLeod County accident
- Butterfield man in farm accident loses the battle
- Nicollet principal moving to LCWM
- As school year winds down, construction picks up at NUPS
- Gaylord Medical School makes progress
- Investigation reveals deaths in Mankato was a murder-suicide
- 3 injured in Glencoe accident
- 2nd Annual Spring into Summer Women’s Expo!
- Nicollet Principal to LCWM
- Harkin Store opens today