Life After New Prague School Scares 23 Mar 13

Things were somewhat back to normal on Friday at New Prague Area Schools following two separate scares earlier in the week. On Wednesday, schools were put in lockdown after a fake 911 call reporting a shooting. On Thursday, two school buildings were evacuated following an emailed bomb threat–which also turned out to be a hoax. New Prague Superintendent Larry Kauzlarich says that every precaution is being taken to keep students safe. He says that extra measures are being considered at New Prague schools to allow administrators to be more vigilant, but he has not specified what those measures are. He adds that a few parents had kept their kids home from school in light of the week’s events.

The 12-year-old boy accused of making a fake 911 call about the school shooting in New Prague earlier this week will remain in detention for now. A Scott County juvenile court judge requested more background about the boy during a hearing on Thursday before deciding whether he can be returned to his parents. He’ll be back in court on Monday. The boy was arrested on Wednesday about 30 minutes after allegedly making two 911 calls from his cell phone claiming there was a shooter with an assault rifle on the school campus. Students were locked in their classrooms as law enforcement responded to the scene. The boy’s attorney has said that his client does not understand the seriousness of the crime.