Holiday Fire Warnings 20 Dec 12

Minnesota’s top fire official has issued a warning about some holiday traditions. Last winter, structure fires in Minnesota caused nearly $3-million in property damage and killed two people between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day. State Fire Marshal Jerry Rosendahl says cooking, open flames and heating account for 70% of Minnesota structure fires year-round. For keeping your home safe this holiday, Rosendahl says never leave a hot stove unattended, and never use water to extinguish a stovetop grease fire – smother the fire with a pan lid instead. Always leave at least 3 feet between a lighted candle and anything that can burn, and keep space heaters at least 3 feet from walls, furniture and drapes. Rosendahl says to never burn giftwrap in a fireplace as well.