Garage Fire In Hutchinson 27 Nov 12

One person was hospitalized Monday morning after a fire broke out in a garage in Hutchinson. The fire started at just before 10am at a double rental unit on McLeod Avenue Northeast in Hutchinson after one of the renters, Daren Lucas was reportedly drilling a hole in a gas tank to repair a leak when the drill ignited gas that had leaked onto the floor. He was then taken to the Hutchinson Hospital for treatment of a burn to his hand. The unit is owned by Tom and Kathy Christensen, and there was extensive damage to the garage and contents, as well as some smoke damage. Damage to the structure and it’s contents is being estimated at around $60,000.