Former state legislator and the original Happy Chef, Marcel “Sal” Frederick, passed away Monday morning. Frederick served the residents of Blue Earth, Nicollet and Waseca Counties as the District 24B State Representative from 1985 to 1992. He opened the first Happy Chef Restaurant in 1963 in Mankato, which still operates to this day. At one time, the chain had 55 restaurants throughout the Midwest, now only 3 remain. Frederick’s career as a restauranteur actually began when he served in World War II. He was originally assigned to the front lines, but reportedly decided it would be safer to volunteer as an Army cook. The Landkamer-Johnson-Boman Funeral Home in Mankato is handling the funeral arrangements.
- Four hurt in McLeod County accident
- Butterfield man in farm accident loses the battle
- Nicollet principal moving to LCWM
- As school year winds down, construction picks up at NUPS
- Gaylord Medical School makes progress
- Investigation reveals deaths in Mankato was a murder-suicide
- 3 injured in Glencoe accident
- Nicollet Principal to LCWM
- 2nd Annual Spring into Summer Women’s Expo!
- Harkin Store opens today