South Bend Twsp Fire 12 Jun 12

A fire at a home in Blue Earth County’s South Bend Township over the weekend is being blamed on a gas leak. The residents of the home on South Bend Avenue smelled gas Friday night and the family evacuated. They returned on Saturday, but smelled smoke and called authorities. It turned out that the fire had actually burned through a plastic water pipe, and the fire was put out by that leaking water pipe. No one was injured, but damages to the home are being estimated at around $50,000.