Cause Of Assisted Living Fire 07 Feb 12

Authorities say that a 46-year-old resident has admitted to starting a fire that prompted the evacuation of an assisted-living facility in Northfield on Sunday. The fire at the Valleyview assisted-living facility was started in the closet of the resident’s apartment. Damage was contained to that unit, and all 38 residents were evacuated without injuries. No charges have been filed because the resident likely has a mental disability and is being evaluated at the Hennepin County Medical Center. The fire caused smoke damage throughout the facility. Residents were expected to be able to return as early as today (TUE).