Cause Of Fatal Fire 05 Jan 12

A fatal fire in Hutchinson on Christmas Eve has been ruled accidental. An Investigator with the State Fire Marshal’s Office says that the fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, and that the cause of death for 58-year-old Mary Schmeling was smoke inhalation. Schmeling was found dead in her duplex on Fairway Avenue in Hutchinson at just before 9pm on December 24th after smoke was reported coming from the building. There was reportedly smoke and fire damage to her portion of the building, as well as smoke damage to the adjoining residence. Investigators say that there had originally been a smoke detector in the home, but it had been removed.