Officials say that a fire at a Mankato hotel early Monday morning would likely have been much worse if it were not for an alert hotel night manager. The manager at the Days Inn was reportedly doing a routine check of the property at shortly before 4am Monday when she saw smoke and heard a fire alarm going off in a room. She used a master key to enter the room and extinguished a fire alongside a bed. The two Mankato residents sleeping in the room were apparently intoxicated in some way, but were not injured. The entire floor was evacuated for a few hours while firefighters completely extinguished the fire. It is believed to have been started by careless smoking.