NU City Council Approves ARMER Purchases 16 Nov 11

The New Ulm City Council on Tuesday agreed to purchase new radio systems for all Brown County municipal fire departments as well as the Sleepy Eye and Springfield Ambulance services. New Ulm is acting as the fiscal agent for the FEMA grants that will help pay for the federally-mandated ARMER radios. New Ulm City Manager Brian Gramentz says that the FEMA grants will cover 90% of the costs to purchase the new radio systems, with each community then covering the remaining 10%, or around $12,000. Area fire departments must change over to the new system by the end of January. Many entities, such as the State Patrol, have already made the change, and Allina Hospitals were changing to the ARMER system this week. In other business during Tuesday’s brief agenda, the council approved an ordinance that allows the city to issue brewer taproom licenses. A public hearing on the fee for such licenses must still be held. The council also established the special assessments for snow and weed removal for 21 properties for the past year and set the date for a public hearing on the matter for December 6th.