New Ulm Grass Fire 07 Nov 11

The New Ulm Fire Department responded to a grass fire in a yard on South Minnesota Street Sunday afternoon. The fire at the home on the 700 Block of South Minnesota is believed to have been started by an unextinguished cigarette thrown into unraked leaves alongside the house. The flames then spread through the dry leaves and grass in a matter of seconds thanks to strong winds. The fire was put out before it damaged the house, and no injuries were reported. Authorities advise residents to rake all leaves away from their homes due to the extremely dry conditions, as well as to fully put out all cigarettes to avoid fire risks.